Most volunteers fly into San Pedro Sula and then take a transfer flight or bus to La Ceiba to get to the Hogar Children's Home. La Ceiba is 190 km from San Pedro Sula. A few highlights are the Jungle Rivers of the Pico Bonito National Forest and the sun and sand of the Caribbean are only 15 minutes away. La Ceiba has an airport, a bus station and more taxis than anyone can count! It also has Internet cafes, restaurants and fast-foods, ATM machines, a mall, and good medical care. Volunteers can live at the hostel described below during their volunteer stay. We do not provide services for placement with a Host Family or at other Hostels not included on this site.
1877 Hostel: located right in town near malls and supermarket. Click here to see Hostel photos
The 1877 Hostel is located in a very safe and key area of La Ceiba, within walking distance of:
- LA COLONIA SUPERMARKET - 1 block from the Hostel. It is large and has everything you will need.
- DIUNSA STORE (like a TJ Max)
- UNIPLAZA - This small plaza has banks, pharmacies, stores and restaurants (including a very good sushi)
- MEGAPLAZA – main mall with many shops and a food court and indoor banks and ATM machines.
- HOSPITAL D´ANTONI - Right in front of the hostel
- MAIN STREET STRIP - it has cafes as well as restaurants throughout
- Two 8-bed dorms (coed) (bunk beds)
- One 6-bed dorm (female only) (bunk beds)
- 2 private rooms (Private room-1 fits up to 4 people (one double bed and two bunk beds) and shares bathroom with female room. The other Private room-2 also fits up to 4 people and has a private bathroom). (two double beds)
The area is pretty safe to walk around in, but you can also take a taxi. Depending on where you are going, they may charge you around Lps. 25-30 per person if it’s in the central area of La Ceiba (to/from the ferry station or airport, they may be charge L. 50 per person or more). Always ask before getting into a taxi.
Rates: (see farther below for HHK rates)
DORM - USD $ 17.50 (19% tax included)
PRIVATE ROOM-1 USD $ 53.50 (19% tax included)
PRIVATE ROOM-2 USD $ 59.50 (19% tax included)
1877 Hostel is supporting our work and will provide a 15% discount on their rates to all volunteers with Helping Honduras Kids. The rates for HHK are:
DORMS - USD $ 12.75 + 19% tax, Total: $15.20 per person per night
PRIVATE ROOM1 - USD $ 38.25 + 19% tax, Total: $ 45.50 for the room, fits up to 4 people
PRIVATE ROOM2 - USD $ 42.50 + 19% tax, Total: $ 50.60 for the room, fits up to 4 people
Their rates include: Wifi, A/C, hot water, Towel, coffee, water, locker (bring or purchase a padlock for $3.50), ear plugs (for purchase), public kitchen, and a friendly and relaxing atmosphere.
1. Rio Cangrejal River rafting
2. Pico Bonito National park - hiking and bird watching
3. Cayos Cochinos Day Tour
4. Sambo Creek Canopy - zip lining, hot springs and mud baths
5. Cuero y Salado - Mangroves Reserve - see howler monkeys and other animals
6. Mountain Bike (several routes)
For more information you can log onto: www.1877hostel.com ; Instagram - #1877hostel
1877 Hostel Contact information:
- La Quinta (in-house restaurant, pool, adjacent to Dunkin Donuts, Popeyes Chicken, Burger King, & convenience store, close to mall) http://www.hotellaquintaonline.com/
- Hotel La Aurora (modern, in-house restaurant, pool, close to mall) Hotel La Aurora
- La Quinta Real (pricier but on the beach, pool, restaurant) http://www.quintarealhotel.com/
- The Jungle River Lodge (near the Jungle School) http://www.jungleriverlodge.com/
- Apart Hotel Pico Bonito (near the Hogar de Amor and airport - inexpensive) http://aparthotelpicobonito.com/
- Grand Hotel Paris (downtown, near Pizza Hut) http://www.granhotelparisonline.com/
- Villa Helen's Hotel & Restaurant (in Sambo Creek, outside of La Ceiba) Villa Helen's Hotel & Restaurant
- Palma Real Beach Resort & Villas (on the beach) http://www.grupopalmareal.com/
Taxis cost L. 25 (slightly more than $1.50) to get around town. Traveling by local buses is not recommended for safety reasons.
A taxi from the airport to town will be about $15.00 per person.
San Pedro Sula considerations
Plan to land in San Pedro Sula at mid-day even if your flight will cost a little more. You will still have time to catch another short flight to La Ceiba or take the Hedman Alas bus. It arrives in La Ceiba around 6:30pm nightly except for holidays. The buses do not run on Honduran holidays so please check with us before making your reservations. If you must stay overnight in San Pedro Sula before coming to La Ceiba the next day, please make ALL arrangements from the USA or your native country before your arrival. You cannot stay in the San Pedro Sula airport overnight.
Arriving at La Ceiba by bus or flight
By landing in San Pedro Sula at mid-day, you can easily connect at the airport to the local airlines or buses that will take you to La Ceiba by late afternoon. It is difficult to have someone available to meet you if you arrive in La Ceiba after 8pm. We recommend you use the Hedman Alas busline, the safest and nicest busline in Honduras. You can buy a bus ticket in the San Pedro Sula airport when you arrive. There is always a bus that leaves early afternoon. Check bus schedules and prices online at https://www.hedmanalas.com. We also recommend SOSA Airlines if you decide to fly to La Ceiba. See their schedules and rates at: https://www.aerolineasosahn.com/
The Hogar is located about 8 miles outside of the city of La Ceiba and very close to the airport. The Jungle School is located in the opposite direction and is about 20 minutes up a dirt road along the Cangrejal River.
The Hogar kids would love to see you!